For your marriage to be legally recognised in Indonesia and elsewhere, you will need to take account of the following legal information.

Don’t be put off by the complicated nature of the requirements, however. We will advise and take care of all paperwork, to make sure your Bali wedding is as pain-free as possible.
Legal Information
In accordance with Law No. 1 of 1974, concerning marriages in Indonesia (Article 2 (1): "a marriage is legitimate if it has been performed according to the laws of the respective religious beliefs of the parties concerned."

All couples who marry in Indonesia must declare a religion. Agnosticism and Atheism are not recognized. The Civil Registry Office can record marriages of persons of Islam, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian-Protestant and Christian-Catholic faiths. Marriage partners must have the same religion; otherwise one partner must make a written declaration of a change of religion.

The Religious Marriage under Islam is performed by the Office of Religious Affairs (Kantor Urusan Agama) in a ceremony at a mosque, the home, a restaurant, or any other place chosen by the couple and is legal immediately after the ceremony.

A Christian, Hindu or Buddhist marriage is usually performed first in a church or temple ceremony. After the religious ceremony, every non-Islamic marriage must be recorded with the Civil Registry (Kantor Catatan Sipil). Without the registration by the Civil Registry these marriages are not legal. Recording by Civil Registry officials can be performed directly at the religious ceremony for an additional fee.

Persons of non-Islamic faith are required to file with the Civil Registry Office in the Regency where they are staying, first a "Notice of Intention to Marry" as well as a "Letter of No Impediment" obtained from their consular representatives.

For the issue of the Letter of No Impediment to Marriage by your Consular Representative you will need to present for yourself and your fiancé(e) your Passport(s) valid for more than 6 months and Certified Divorce Decrees (absolute/final) and/or Death Certificates regarding the termination of any previous marriages. Please contact the Consular Representative of your country for details well before the intended date of marriage.

The following countries have Consuls or Consular Representatives in Bali. The telephone and fax numbers must be prefixed with 62-361 when calling from abroad. Australia (Consulate, also representing Canada, New Zealand, U.K. and other Commonwealth countries in emergencies), Jalan Prof. Moh. Yamin 4, Renon, Denpasar, Tel. 235-092/3, Fax 231-990; France (consular Agency), Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai No. 35, Sanur, Tel. 285-485, Fax 285-485; Germany (Honorary Consulate), Jalan Pantai Karang 17, Sanur, Tel. 288-535, 288-826, Fax 288-826; Italy (Honorary Vice Consulate), Jalan Bypass Ngurah Rai, Jimbaran, Tel. 701-005, Fax 701-005; Japan (Consulate), Jalan Raya Puputan, Renon, Denpasar, Tel. 234-808, Fax 231-308; Mexico (Honorary Consulate), Jalan Moch. Yamin 1A, Renon, Denpasar, Tel. 223-266, Fax 231-740; Netherlands (Consulaar Agency), Jalan Raya Kuta 99, Kuta, Tel. 751-517, Fax 752-777; Norway & Denmark (Honorary Consulate), Kawasan Bukit Permai, Jimbaran, Tel. 701-070, Fax 701-074; Spain (Honorary Consulate, currently vacant); Sweden & Finland (Honorary Consulate), Jalan Segara Ayu, Sanur, Tel. 288-407, Fax 287-242; Switzerland & Austria (Consular Agency), Jalan Pura Bagus Teruna, Legian, Tel. 751-735, Fax 754-457; U.S.A. (Consular Agency), Jalan Hayam Wuruk 188, Denpasar, Tel. 233-605, Fax 222-426.

For the Notice of Intention to Marry you have to submit the following documents for both partners to the Civil Registry Office (show the original and present a photocopy):

• Certificate of the religious marriage; • Passport for foreign citizens, or KTP (Identity card) for Indonesian citizens; • Certified birth certificate; • Certified divorce decree (absolute) or death certificates regarding the termination of all previous marriages; • Four 4x6 cm photos, both partners side by side; • Foreign citizens: • Letter of No Impediment to Marriage issued by your Consular Representative for Bali or Indonesia; • Indonesian citizens: • Never married: letter Surat Keterangan Belum Kawin from Kepala Desa or Lurah (mayor); • Men aged 18-21 and women aged 16-21: parental letter of consent, signed across the meterai/tax stamp Rupiah 2,000.

Before the marriage, you and your fiancé(e) may also wish to file, with the Civil Registry, a prenuptial Property Agreement (Surat Pernyataan Harta) which must be signed before a local Notary Public. This contract is necessary if you wish to hold property separately during the marriage. In the absence of such a document, Indonesian marriage law assumes joint ownership of property, and subsequent property acquisitions by the Indonesian partner will be regulated according to the laws restricting foreign property ownership.

Two witnesses over the age of 18 are required. They must show the originals and present photocopies of their passports if they are foreign citizens or KTP (identity cards) if they are Indonesian citizens. Civil Registry employees can also act as witnesses.

The Civil Registry office has a Mandatory Waiting Period of 10 working days from the date of filing. This waiting period may be waived for tourists presenting a guest registration form (Form A).

Islamic Marriage Certificates (Buku Nikah) issued by the Office of Religious Affairs (Kantor Urusan Agama) are legally valid in Indonesia and do not require registration with any other agency if you are going to live in Indonesia. However, if you might move somewhere else in the future (and who knows?), get a marriage certificate issued by the Civil Registry and an officially certified translation right away (see below).

All other Marriage Certificates will be issued by the Civil Registry usually on the same or next day. A sworn English translation of the marriage certificate should be obtained for use abroad. It is not necessary for the marriage certificate or translation to be registered by your Consular Agency. However, to have the sworn translation of the marriage certificate verified or a special translation made by the Consular Agency of your home country, or the Consular Agency of your country of residence, might prove useful.

Planning your Bali wedding